I was looking at different ideas for blogs, and trying desperately to find something that today I could blog about. And today it landed up that I was stuck on movies, some that I love. Ok perhaps my Top 10, so here they are:
1) The Notebook- What can I say about this movie? I sit down with a box of Puffs to watch it each time. I love everything about it. If I am flipping channels and find it on, even if it has 10 minutes left I watch it. I am hopelessly in love with this movie. Memorable line:
Young Allie: Why didn't you write me? Why? It wasn't over for me, I waited for you for seven years. But now it's too late. Young Noah: I wrote you 365 letters. I wrote you everyday for a year. Young Allie: You wrote me? Young Noah: Yes... it wasn't over, it still isn't over
2) Mr and Mrs Smith- I know we are not supposed to like this movie, because it was the end of Brad and Jennifer or because its the start of Brangelina. But I loved it, I thought the whole "secret lives" of spouses was great. It was a fun movie to watch. Memorable line:
John Smith: [during a car chase] I never told you, but I was married once before. Jane Smith: [slams on the brakes] John Smith: What's wrong with you? Jane Smith: [hitting John] You're what's wrong with me John. John Smith: It was just a drunken Vegas thing. Jane Smith: Oh, that's better. That's *much* better. [pause] Jane Smith: What's her name and social security number? John Smith: No, you're not gonna kill her.
3) The Breakfast club- I can't tell you why I still love this movie after so many years, but perhaps its because no matter how many times you watch it, its still funny. You can see people you knew from high school. There are tons of memorable lines but the end sums it up best:
Brian Johnson: Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. What we did *was* wrong. But we think you're crazy to make an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain... Andrew Clark: ...and an athlete... Allison Reynolds: ...and a basket case... Claire Standish: ...a princess... John Bender: ...and a criminal... Brian Johnson: Does that answer your question?... Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club.
4) The Outsiders- This movie is where I was first introduced to the hotness that was C. Thomas Howell, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, etc. I had read the book the summer before, and knew I had to see it. I love this movie too, there is just something so great about it. Memorable Quote:
Johnny: [his last lines] Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold.
5) The Sandlot- You guys had to expect to see a baseball movie, I love baseball. But this one was the first movie AJ really memorized. Watching him fall for this movie, made me fall for this movie. But some of the lines were so funny and so classic, I laugh each time I see it.
Phillips: It's easy when you play with rejects and a fat kid, Rodriguez. Benny: Shut your mouth, Phillips! Ham Porter: What'd you say, crap face? Phillips: You shouldn't be allowed to touch a baseball. Except for Rodriguez, you're all an insult to the game. Ham Porter: Come on! We'll take you on, right here! Right now! Come on! Sandlot Kids: Yeah! Phillips: We play on a real diamond, Porter. You ain't good enough to lick the dirt off our cleats. Ham Porter: Watch it, jerk! Phillips: Shut up, idiot! Ham Porter: Moron! Phillips: Scab eater! Ham Porter: Butt sniffer! Phillips: Pus licker! Ham Porter: Fart smeller! Bertram: [sniffs] Ahh. Phillips: You eat dog crap for breakfast, geek! Ham Porter: You mix your Wheaties with your mama's toe jam! Sandlot Kids: Yeah! Phillips: You bob for apples in the toilet! And you like it! Ham Porter: You play ball like a giiirrrrrrrrl! [entire group stands in shocked silence] Phillips: What did you say? Ham Porter: You heard me. Phillips: Tomorrow. Noon, at our field. Be there, buffalo-butt breath. Ham Porter: Count on it, pee-drinking crap-face!
Its great that the biggest insult in that movie is "You play ball like a GIRL!!!" Love that movie!
6) Dirty Dancing- You know you have seen it.. you know that secretly you have wished you were dancing with Baby and Johnny. Yep, you know I am right.. just say it. RIP Patrick Swayze I bet you are dancing in Heaven.
7) Ghost- Two movies, back to back. But this is another that is just a great movie. Don't we all wish we could have that moment to just say goodbye? I love this movie...lots of puffs needed to get through it. .but great movie
Sam: Molly, you're in danger. Oda Mae Brown: You can't just blurt it out like that! And quit moving around, because you're starting to make me dizzy. I'll just tell her in my own way. [pause; then, to Molly] Oda Mae Brown: Molly, you in danger girl.
8) Beauty and The beast- This is my favorite Disney movie of all time, I know every line and will recite it if you watch it with me. You will never understand how much I love this movie.. Memorable quote:
Belle is washing the Beast's wounds] Beast: [roaring] Aaargh! That hurts! Belle: If you'd hold still, it wouldn't hurt as much! Beast: Well if you hadn't have run away, this wouldn't have happened. Belle: If you hadn't *frightened* me, I wouldn't have run away! Beast: Well *you* shouldn't have been in the west *wing*! Belle: Well, you should learn to control your temper. Now, hold still. This might sting a little. [presses cloth to wound; the beast growls in pain] Belle: By the way, thank you for saving my life. Beast: [stops growling] You're welcome.
9) PS I love you- If (God Forbid) Chuck ever goes before me, I hope he does this before he goes. Every person who loses a spouse, should be this lucky. A tearjerker but the most amazing movie.
Gerry Kennedy: I'm sorry I said the wrong thing to your mother. God, I still get nervous around her. I still think after nine years she doesn't like me. I know I'm being stupid. Holly Kennedy: No, you're not being stupid baby. She doesn't like you. Gerry Kennedy: Really? I kinda thought deep down she really loved me. Holly Kennedy: No... she doesn't. I was ninteen when we got married. You corrupted me with sex and charm and the longer it takes you to make your fortune the less sexy and charming you are. Gerry Kennedy: [Gerry starts looking for something] Holly Kennedy: What? What are you looking for? Gerry Kennedy: My balls. They were hanging there a minute ago.
10) The Blind Side- I am not one of those people who normally loves the Drama-documentaries. But the Blindside was everything everyone said it would be and so much more. The story is great, Sandra Bullock was amazing! This is one of those "if you haven't seen it.. GO see it" movies Memorable quote:
Leigh Anne Touhy: Find some time to figure out another bedroom for you. Michael Oher: This is mine? Leigh Anne Touhy: Yes, sir. Michael Oher: I never had one before. Leigh Anne Touhy: What, a room to yourself? Michael Oher: A bed.
There are so many many more that are honorable mentions: Save the last Dance, Back to the future, Steel Magnolias, Top Gun (volleyball scene. Thank you Jesus), Aladdin, Good Morning Vietnam, Sound Of Music, the Toothfairy, Valentines Day, Ghosts of Girlfriend Past, Sweet Home Alabama, Hook, Mary Poppins, Risky Business, The Patriot, Legal Weapon, Old School, Step Brothers, American Pie (the first and second ones), Men in Black, Night at the Museum (1 and 2), Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, Twilight and New Moon (yep i am one of *those* moms), Harry Potter movies, and I think that will do it. We are movie junkies but we cant help ourselves. Did I miss any of your favorites?